Adolescent Parent Programs
- Abusive Relationships
- Adolescent Development
- Basic Needs (Statewide Resources)
- Child Care/Child Development
- Child Health and Safety
- Delaying Subsequent Pregnancy
- Education and School-Based Programs
- Health: Reproductive, Prenatal, Nutrition and Mental Health
- Home Visiting/Case Management
- Legal Issues
- Parent Education/Parent Child Attachment
- Parenting Help (Statewide Resources)
- Public Benefits
- Relationships and Co-Parenting
- Young Fathers
- National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline, 1-866-331-9474
- Love is Respect, web site containing resources on dating violence
- The Adolescent Brain: A Work in Progress (PDF), The National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, 2005
- Audience Insights: Communicating to Teens (Aged 12–17) (PDF), National Center for Health Marketing, 2009
Today’s teens are the most marketing savvy and brand-conscious generation to date. Their health behaviors and outcomes reflect their economic, racial, gender, and geographic disparities. These Audience Insights will help you capture the attention of the 25 million teens in the United States.
- Developing Adolescents: A Reference for Professionals (PDF), American Psychological Association, 2002
- In the Know: Adoption information website for teens. Questions teens may have about adoption as an option are answered here.
- The Adoption Option Committee Inc. (AOCI): Organization dedicated to providing information on adoption and supporting both birth and adoptive parents. Offer trainings on how to talk to teens about the "Adoption Option." Financial assistance and scholarships are available to birth mothers.
Basic Needs (Statewide Resources)
- MinnesotaHelp.org: Online resource to find many types of assistance throughout the state.
- United Way 211: Online and phone resource to find many types of assistance throughout the state.
- Emergency Food Shelf Network: List of food resources throughout the state.
- MFIP for Parents Under Age 18 (PDF), Minneapolis Legal Aid, 2010
- Minnesota Work Force Centers: List of centers providing assistance in job placement throughout the state.
- Heat Share: Help with heating bills and other services offered by the Salvation Army
- LawHelpMN.org: Legal Assistance for Low Income Minnesotans
- List of Community Action Partnership (CAP) agencies throughout Minnesota - offering many services to low income individuals such as Crisis Nurseries, energy assistance, food shelves, tax preparation services and many more.
Child Care/Child Development
- Child Care for Teen Parent Programs (PDF), FSU Center for Prevention & Early Intervention Policy, 2005
- Child Development Review offers information and materials on child development for both parents and professionals.
- The Children of Teen Parents Fact Sheet, Florida Sate University Center for Prevention, April 2005
- Playing Catch-up: How Children Born to Teen Mothers Fare, National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, January 2005
- Policy Statement on the Unique Developmental Needs of the Children of Adolescent Parents, Healthy Teen Network, 2003
- Recommended Practices for Head Start Programs Serving Teen Parents (PDF), FSU Center for Prevention & Early Intervention Policy, 2005
- What is Infant Mental Health? (PDF), FSU Center for Prevention & Early Intervention Policy, 2005
Child Health and Safety
- Car Seats: Website describing what is required by law, best seats for children of different ages, how to use car seats to maximize child safety, common mistakes in using seats, and other resources and information. Content provided by the Minnesota Safety Council, AAA Clubs of Minnesota and the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, Office of Traffic Safety.
Delaying Subsequent Pregnancy
- Another Chance: Preventing Additional Births to Teen Mothers (PDF), National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, May 2004
- Repeat Teen Childbearing: Differences Across States and by Race and Ethnicity, Child Trends Research Brief, October 2007
- Subsequent Pregnancies and Births Among Adolescent Mothers Fact Sheet, Florida Sate University Center for Prevention, April 2005
- Delaying Second Births Among Adolescent Mothers: A Randomized, Controlled Trial of a Home-Based Mentoring Program, Pediatrics, October 2006
Education and School-Based Programs
- How to File a Complaint Under Title IX or Under the Minnesota Human Rights Act (PDF), Teenwise Minnesota, 2010
- How to Keep Pregnant and Parenting Students from Dropping Out: A Primer for Schools (PDF), National Women's Law Center, 2007
- How Well is Your School Doing? (PDF) - Assessment guide for schools related to treatment of pregnant and parenting students. Teenwise Minnesota, 2010
- It's Your Education: How Title lX Protections Can Help You (PDF), National Women's Law Center, 2010
- Listening to Latinas: Barriers to High School Graduation, National Women's Law Center
- Prepped For Success? Supporting Pregnant and Parenting Teens in Chicago Schools, Center for Impact Research, July, 2003.
- School-Based Programs for Adolescent Parents and Their Young Children (PDF), Susan T. Batten and Bonita Stowell. 1997
- Title IX: website dedicated to Title IX issues has a section on access to education for pregnant and parenting students.
- When Girls Don't Graduate, We all Fail, National Women's Law Center
Health: Reproductive, Prenatal, Nutrition and Mental Health
- Eating Well During Pregnancy for You and Your Baby, Healthy Teen Network, 2008
- Effects of Alcohol During Pregnancy
- The Effects of Substance Abuse on the Children of Adolescent Parents (PDF), FSU Center for Prevention & Early Intervention Policy, 2005
- Especially for Teens: Having a Baby: Pamphlet developed for pregnant teens from the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Prenatal Care Among U.S. Teenagers, Journal of Adolescent Health, 2008
- Reproductive Outcomes in Adolescents Who Had a Previous Birth or an Induced Abortion Compared to Adolescents' First Pregnancies, BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth January, 2008
- The Role of the School Nurse in Supporting Adolescent Parents, National School Nurse Association
- Simply Good Eating Education Curriculum, University of Minnesota Extension, 2006
- Teen Parents: Nutrition Curriculum for Pregnant and Parenting Teens, University of Missouri Extension, 2007
- Teen Pregnancy and Preterm Birth (PDF), Teenwise Minnesota, 2010
- Yes You Can: Eat Well, Look Good and Save Money: Healthy Teen Network's nutrition guide for pregnant and parenting teens, and is intended for use by adolescents.
Home Visiting/Case Management
- Nurse Family Partnership is an evidence-based, nurse home visiting program that improves the health, well-being and self-sufficiency of low-income, first-time parents and their children. There are currently four nurse family partnership replication sites in Minnesota.
- Dakota Healthy Families provides home visits to support new and expectant parents in the areas of child health and development, positive parenting skills and a safe home environment. Available to residents of Carver or Dakota Counties.
- MN Home Visiting Report 2008 A legislative report detailing the 2008 Family Home Visiting Program, including the success stories of the program, current overview of the program and status report of current activities.
- Educational Outcomes and Family Well-Being of Teen Parents
- What Works for Home Visiting Programs: Lessons from Experimental Evaluations of Programs and Interventions, Child Trends, 2010
- Helping Pregnant and Parenting Teens Find Adequate Housing, Healthy Teen Network
- The Core Components of Supportive Housing for Pregnant and Parenting Teens (PDF), Child Trends
- The Core Components of Supportive Housing for Pregnant and Parenting Teens: Findings from the Field (PDF), Child Trends
- 2009 Minnesota Homeless Study, Wilder Research
Whole Family Foster Care Placement for Teens and their Children
- Minors' Consent for Health Care (PDF), Minnesota House Research Department, July, 2008
- An Overview of Minors Consent Laws, Healthy Teen Network, updated monthly
- Rights of Teen Parents (PDF), Minneapolis Legal Aid, 2010
- Youth and the Law (PDF), Minnesota House Research Department, December, 2008
- Youth Living Away from Home (PDF), Minneapolis Legal Aid, 2010
Parent Education/Parent Child Attachment
- Promoting Healthy Attachment Between Teen Parents and Their Babies: Challenges of Competing Developmental Agendas, Teenwise Minnesota Monitor, Spring 2006
- Early Head Start and Teen Parent Families: Partnership for Success (PDF), Center for Law and Social Policy, 2005
- Talaris Research Institute Talaris Research Institute works to improve the social, emotional and cognitive development of children from the prenatal period through age five by providing parents with tools to raise their children effectively.
Parenting Help (Statewide Resources)
- Co-Parenting: Resources for parents and professionals on parenting with another.
- Good Enough Moms: Explore with Marti and Erin Erickson the many facets of motherhood in today’s world and listen to podcasts of their popular radio show
- Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE): Search to find an ECFE program in your area. These programs are designed to help parents connect with other parents, to learn about child development and to develop positive parenting skills. Some ECFE programs can and do partner with teen parent programs in Minnesota.
- Circle of Parents: Support groups offered throughout the state to help parents to improve their parenting skills and strengthen their family relationships.
- Crisis Nurseries: Child care providers throughout the state that take children for a few days at a time in order to provide emergency care and respite for families undergoing a crisis.
- 1-800-CHILDREN: (M-F 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) Supportive listening, information and referrals for families experiencing problems or stress. Call 1-800-4-A-CHILD during non-business hours.
- Bridge to Benefits, Children’s Defense Fund Minnesota, 2009
Relationships and Co-Parenting
- The Dibble Institute: Resources for teaching teens about relationships
- We Can Parent Together: Website for parents and professionals
- Supporting Young Fathers Network: This UK-based website presents case studies, resources and strategies for programs for young fathers
- Leaving the Street: Young Fathers Move from Hustling to Legitimate Work by Lauren J. Kotloff, 2005, Public/Private Ventures
- Minnesota Department of Human Services' Website – Child Support Information
- Minnesota Fathers & Families Network (MFFN)
MFFN is designed to enhance healthy father-child relationships by promoting initiatives that inform public policy and further develop the field of fatherhood practitioners statewide. A sample of MFFN Publications and reports include:
• Fathers to the Forefront (PDF) Increasing Healthy Father Involvement with Children, Families and Communities. A five-year plan to strengthen Minnesota families. July 2007
• Do We Count Fathers in Minnesota? Searching for Key Indicators of the Well-Being of Fathers & Families. 2007
• Unmarried Fathers' Guide to Paternity, Custody, Parenting Time and Child Support in Minnesota, Minnesota Fathers & Families Network, revised January, 2011
• Young Fathers (PDF)
- Minnesota Resource Center for Fathers and Families – The Resource Center creates programs designed to enhance the role of fathers in full parenthood and partnership in parenting their children.
- Navigating the Child Support System: Lessons from the Fathers at Work Initiative (PDF) by Laura Wyckoff, Mary McVay and Dee Wallace, Feb 2009, Public/Private Ventures – paper designed for practitioners who work with fathers
- Promising Teen Fatherhood Programs: Initial Evidence Lessons from Evidence-Based Research, National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse, September 2008
- Public Policies Affecting Young Fathers – The Father Involvement Research Alliance (Canada) explores public policy issues that impact young fathers.
- Responsible Fatherhood Spotlight: Teen Fatherhood – National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse fact sheet
- Understanding and Working with Young Fathers (PDF), Minnesota Fathers and Families Network, 2004
- Unique Needs of Young Fathers – Healthy Teen Network Fact Sheet
- What Works in Responsible Fatherhood Programs: An increasing number of programs focus on improving fathers' involvement with children and families. What features of fatherhood programs really matter? A 2008 National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse brief authored by Child Trends examines experimental evaluations of fatherhood and parenting programs to identify ten promising practices.
- Best practices for Male Involvement and Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Theory, model programs and practical tips, Resource Center for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention